One of the most beautiful and long-lasting materials that you can choose to use in your home is natural stone. There is nothing quite like the look and feel of natural stone for interior design. This is especially true when choosing materials for fireplace surrounds in Dartmouth and the South Coast region. Using natural stone wisely in small ways and with careful consideration can help to accentuate the look and feel of any New England home, providing a touch of class and warmth that you just can’t achieve with other materials.
Perhaps the two most common material choices with regard to natural stone are granite and marble. The beauty that comes from well-designed granite or marble fireplace surrounds can upgrade the entire ambiance of a room. In addition to these popular materials, there are other types of natural stone materials that can be used by South Coast professional stone installation services to create unique and stunning results. Limestone, slate, sandstone and soapstone are just some of the other options that homeowners are choosing to use today.
Cleaning & Maintenance of Natural Stone
When you choose to use natural stone for interior design, it is important to learn a little bit about the material so you will be able to properly maintain and care for it to keep it looking great for many years to come. Most installers will take the time to go over care and maintenance with the homeowner, but it pays to ask questions and do a little research ahead of time before you commit to stone fireplace surrounds in Dartmouth so you will know what you are getting into before you have it installed. If you provide them with proper maintenance and know what products or things to avoid that could cause damage, your new stone surfaces could last for generations.
Arena Tile and Stone can help homeowners by suggesting the proper protection, maintenance and restoration granite or marble fireplace surrounds, as well as for other types of natural stone for interior design. Our team will work with you to recommend a sealer to be applied immediately after installation of your new fireplace surrounds in Dartmouth to create a natural barrier that will be resistant to water, dirt, grease and grime. We also offer a complete maintenance and protection plan to help keep your brand new stonework looking fresh and new.
Which Natural Stone is Best?
Figuring out which type of natural stone for your fireplace surrounds in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, Cape Cod or the surrounding area is best can be challenging. There are many options and each type of natural stone for interior design has its advantages. One way to make a smart decision is to think locally. When you work with your South Coast professional stone installation provider at Arena Tile and Stone, ask about which materials are native to the area. Choosing native stone can really add a bit of extra character to your design that will reflect the natural beauty of the New England region.
Once you have some ideas in mind, speak with the designer to find out if the stone you are thinking about will work with your fireplace. Granite or marble fireplace surrounds are popular because the materials are plentiful, there are many color options available and the materials are easy to clean and maintain. However, if you really want a certain look and feel for your fireplace surround, you will still need to make sure that the natural stone you have chosen can be used in this type of application for a working fireplace.
A Basic Overview of Common Interior Design Stone
When you are considering which type of natural stone for interior design that you want to use, it pays to have a basic knowledge of each type so you can make an informed decision. Here is a basic overview of each type of stone that we have discussed and some information that you can use to help you decide.
- GRANITE – Has the most color options of any of the natural stone for interior design and often has flecks of minerals to add texture and unique effects. Extremely durable, it takes a lot of abuse to scratch or stain granite. This material is great for kitchen countertops and other surfaces, as well as for fireplace surrounds. Due to the popularity of this material, there are many granite specific cleaners on the market.
- MARBLE – This material is softer and more absorbent than granite, however it has all the strength that you will need for just about any application within your home. Can be cleaned with water and a mild detergent if necessary. Sealing should be done by a professional for greater protection and longer-lasting beauty.
- LIMESTONE – There are many different textures, qualities and colors to choose from. Harder pieces of limestone can be polished, however softer pieces cannot. A great choice for kitchen floors, entry floors and bathroom surfaces due to its durability. While not frequently used for fireplace surrounds in Dartmouth, it can be used for this purpose if installed properly by a professional installer.
- SLATE – Comes in an interesting array of blues, greens, grays and purples with a beautiful matte surface that makes it really stand out from other types of natural stone for interior design. Great for floors and kitchen countertops due its natural strength and durability, however special cleaning is required.
- SANDSTONE – Beautiful earthy tones make this natural stone a great choice for South Coast professional stone installation and interior design. Great for kitchen floors, tub surrounds, shower tiles and walls, fireplace surrounds and other unique applications.
- SOAPSTONE – The touch and feel of this natural stone is reminiscent of soap due to the presence of talc within the material. Soapstone has a very high resistance to heat, making it an excellent choice for fireplace surrounds and kitchen countertops. It can also be used for vanities, sinks and other similar locations.
Get High Quality Natural Stone at Arena Tile and Stone
If you are considering using natural stone for interior design for a fireplace surround or other project within your home, look no further than Arena Tile and Stone. We are a second generation family owned and operated company that has built a solid reputation for custom tile and stonework throughout Southeastern Massachusetts, Boston, Cape Cod and Rhode Island. Some of the professional services we provide include kitchen countertops and backsplashes, granite or marble fireplace surrounds, bathroom design, entryway flooring and specialty installations. Give us a call today at 508-971-5200 to find out more about our services or to get an estimate on your next home remodeling project or installation.